From the back of the restaurant: “We’ve got a good selection of the hottest dishes and a good deal on some good coffee too.”
The kitchen has been busy this week.
Picture: Dan PeledFor many in the CBD, this was the first time they had ever been to a food cart.
“You never really think you’re going to find something here,” said one customer.
“I’m so glad I came.”
But they were not alone.
The food court’s “food cart wars” started in December last year when the owner of a popular Melbourne restaurant said the place was being forced to close.
“We were actually trying to raise the money to keep it going and I was just sitting there saying ‘you’ve got to go’,” he said.
“I was like ‘this is ridiculous, I’m not going to do this’.”
Food court owner tells ABC Melbourne staff he will leave for greener pasturesAfter more than a year, food court owners in Melbourne were frustrated with the food cart wars, and some even said they were leaving for greeter pastures.
“The people in this business have a responsibility to be efficient and the most efficient way of doing that is to make it profitable,” said restaurant owner Steve Smith.
“We need to have the best food, but we also need to provide the most entertainment for our customers.”
The owner of Hungry Kitchen, a popular food cart in the city, said he had not been able to keep up with the increasing competition.
“There’s not really a way for us to compete on price,” he said, adding that he was moving to the nearby suburb of Werribee.
“You could see it in the last few weeks when we’ve been able a little bit to make a little extra money.
But we’re not going there.”
But while he was confident the food court would survive, it was not so sure about the future of the business.
“It’s just not sustainable,” he told ABC Melbourne.
“It’s very sad that we have this situation where there’s only so many people in the business.”
The ABC’s Food Wars special is on Tuesday, October 16 at 9:30pm.
You can watch the program on ABC TV, on the ABC News app or online.